NY overhauls unemployment site amid applications surge

Categories: 

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- New York is overhauling a decades-old unemployment benefits system that’s left thousands of applicants frustrated amid a surge of claims during the coronavirus outbreak.

LISTEN LIVE: 1010 WINS' 24/7 coverage of the coronavirus outbreak

Google helped New York design a revamped application webpage for launching Thursday evening, and the state has added 300 more workers to its 700-person staff to process claims.

The Department of Labor’s system has crashed because of the historical surge in claims.

“Government shuts down the private sector economy. You have millions out of work,” Cuomo said Thursday.  “The next shoe to drop is going to be millions of people call in for unemployment benefits crashing the system that handles the unemployment benefits because you’ve had a hundred fold increase, which is what has happened.”

The new site includes a form with fewer questions, and state workers will now call applicants within 72 hours if there are issues processing the applications so filers don't have to call back.

Some 350,000 unemployment claims were filed last week alone, officials said. A total of 810,000 claims have been filed since March 9, with over 200,000 unprocessed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Like 1010 WINS on Facebook and follow @1010WINS on Twitter to get breaking news, traffic, and weather for New York City.