It’s the ironically-named Labor Day weekend where, if you’re lucky, you have three days off. As you hit the highway for summer’s big finale, you’ll need a playlist for the holiday road trip. Get those motors revving, we’ve got a Labor Day playlist of ten classic songs for the long drive ahead.
1. “Little Red Corvette” – Prince
Close your eyes and envision yourself cruising down the road in your little red corvette, only to open them and narrowly avoid rear-ending someone in your beat-up ’99 black Camry. This song remains a great road trip song regardless of what you’re driving. Click here for the song.
2. “Runnin’ Down A Dream” – Tom Petty
A great road trip song in all ways, kicking off with a hard-hitting guitar riff that makes you wanna grab the wheel and speed off down the highway. Click here for the song.
3. “Two Of Us” – The Beatles
“You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” This pretty much sums it up. A beautiful song for you and a very close friend, whether it be a significant other or just an old pal, you’re sure to have some Tommy Boy-like tears after singing along to this one on your way home. Click here for the song.
4. “Born To Run” – Bruce Springsteen
The Boss is an artist tailor-made for road trips, and frankly, it would be a sin to not also include “Born to Run.” It’s got a great build-up and legendary lyrics about Springsteen’s “engines” and “velvet rims” for you and your fellow tramps to belt out. Click here for the song.
5. “I’ll Take You There” – Staple Singers
We would gladly go anywhere these sultry soul women would take us – and besides, no road trip can survive on classic rock alone. Do yourself a favor and grab this soulful gem before you hit the road. Click here for the song.
6. “Kodachrome” – Paul Simon
With a timeless opening line that serves as an anthem for people just out of high school or many years down the road, this song makes you remember the great nights of the soon ending summer and leaves you longing for one last hurrah. Click here for the song.
7. “Running on Empty” – Jackson Browne
Depending on your age and place in life, this song can produce radically different feelings from you, but nothing will change the fact that this is a great song to play on the road to wherever you’re going to. And who knows, it could serve as a cautionary tale and a reminder to check your fuel gauge. Click here for the song.
8. “Mustang Sally” – Wilson Pickett
If you’re not driving a mustang or are named Sally, then feel free to drive as fast as you want. Otherwise, you better slow your Mustang down, according to this bluesy 1967 hit. Click here for the song.
9. “Sister Golden Hair” – America
Sunshine ’70s pop at its finest, this is sure to fill the car with warmth and joy as you head on your way. Click here for the song.
10. “Little Deuce Coupe” – Beach Boys
If you enjoy riding in a car and listening to songs about cars, then this one is right up your alley. An insanely upbeat pop number that will almost certainly force you to bop up and down on your drive. Click here for the song.
– Frank E. Lee + Zack Nechvatal, WXRT; Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On WCBSFM.com:
- Van Morrison Announces ‘In Concert’ DVD Release
- 10-Year-Old JD McCrary Delights L.A. Clippers Crowd with Jackson 5 Cover
- Sheryl Crow Shares Sandy Hook Tribute Song ‘The Dreaming Kind’
- Neil Young’s Model Trains Sold for Nearly $300K in Auction
- Robert Plant Joined by the Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde in London: Watch
- Golden Globe Nominations: Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, & More Net Nods