Though they had a string of hits in the UK over the course of more than fifteen years, Big Country found only one hit in the US… and we all know which one that is.
“In a Big Country” was the third single by Big Country released by Mercury Records in the US. Taken from their debut album, The Crossing, the song was the collaboration of band members Stuart Adamson, Mark Brzezicki, Tony Butler and Bruce Watson and produced by U2 knob-turner Steve Lillywhite.
Released in May 1983, the song made a slow, steady 6-month climb up the charts, peaking at #17 on the pop chart in December (and #3 on the rock charts).
Unlike many One-Hit Wonders who like to believe otherwise, frontman Stuart Adamson is quite alright fitting into that category. “If we’re known for nothing more than just that one song,” he told VH-1, “I’d be pretty happy with that.”
Latest from WCBSFM.com >
- Daisy Ridley Plays ‘Star Wars’ Theme on Kazoo: Watch
- Michael Jackson’s ‘Blood on the Dancefloor’ Video Gets ‘Cirque du Soleil’ Update
- Elton John to Be Honored with GRAMMY Tribute Show
- The Doors Set to Release Final Filmed Concert from Isle of Wight
- Richie Sambora Talks Bon Jovi’s Hall of Fame Induction & Reunion
- Will Smith Says We are in the Darkness Before the Dawn